Regulations have been updated to FY17, effective August 1, 2016. Current regulations are still available in PDF form.
10.0 Responsibility for violations. The person in whose name a motorized vehicle is titled or the person who normally operates that vehicle shall be responsible for all tickets identified to the vehicle. If a parking permit is displayed, or the vehicle is registered for an e-permit, then the owner of the parking permit/e-permit shall be responsible for that ticket.
10.1 City violations. City of Lawrence ordinances shall cover moving violations on the university campus and may cover standing or parking violations on city streets within the campus.
10.2 Disabled Vehicles. Immediately notify Parking & Transit or the Office of Public Safety if your vehicle becomes disabled on campus. Failure to do so within one (1) hour of vehicle being disabled or issuance of ticket will result in enforcement of all appropriate penalties. Disabled vehicles must be moved within forty-eight (48) hours of being reported.
Abandoned Vehicles. A vehicle will be considered abandoned if it appears undriveable (e.g. flat tires, broken windows, etc) and has not moved for five (5) or more days, regardless of valid license plate or permit. Abandoned vehicles will be towed after letter is sent to registered owner or permit holder, if he/she can be identified, stating date by which vehicle must be moved, unless vehicle is proven to be driveable.
10.3 Multiple tickets may be issued for same violation on consecutive days, and may also be issued on the same day for multiple, separate instances, or at parking meters.
10.4 Group 0 University violations. Fee: $15.
1) Expired meter.
2) Garage gate lifted in office for inability to pay toll. Fine escalates $10 each time upon subsequent issuance (e.g. $25, $35, $45, etc).
3) Failure to update license plate/transfer e-permit.
10.5 Group I University violations. Fee: $25. Vehicle may be towed from posted tow away zones.
4) No valid permit or other authorization for use of parking facilities, or parked in the wrong zone, where assigned permit is not valid. In staff zones, fine escalates $10 each time upon subsequent issuance (e.g. $35, $45, etc. up to $75), and vehicle is automatically towable once fine reaches $75.
5) Permit not properly displayed.
6) License plate not visible from driving lanes.
7) License plate obscured (e.g. with mud, a cover, bicycle rack, etc.)
8) License plate not properly displayed (e.g. in car window.)
9) More than one vehicle parking on campus at the same time (issued to 2nd vehicle found).
10) Vehicle not within stall lines of a legal parking space.
11) Parking in a restricted area (e.g. delivery or guest meter, yellow curb, etc.).
12) Parking after event restriction begins. Fine escalates $10 each time upon subsequent issuance (e.g. $35, $45, $55, etc) with late fee added after the 14th calendar day.
13) Overstaying permit or parking stall time limit. (e.g. loading zones, etc).
14) Facing wrong way – Vehicles using parallel parking areas must be parked on the parking apron side of the street with the front of the vehicle pointing in the same direction as flow of traffic.
15) Improper use of paid/validated toll ticket while exiting garage.
10.6 Group II University violations. Fee: $50. Vehicle may be towed.
16) Parked in reserved stall.
17) Nondesignated parking in an area not specifically designated for or designed as a parking area for motor vehicles (e.g. on grass, sidewalk, "no parking" sign, areas not marked as a parking space, or in any building not designated for the repair or storage of vehicles).
18) Blocking drive, roadway, dumpsters, doors, legally parked vehicles, or restricting the normal flow of traffic.
19) Unauthorized storage of vehicle on university premises. (Vehicles not bearing a license tag or current permit, or parked illegally and not moved for five (5) or more days.)
10.7 Group III University violations. Fee: $55.
20) Booth run. Unauthorized entry to closed area of campus.
21) Theft of Services. Issued to any car exiting a gated toll facility without paying toll. Parking privileges will be revoked.
22) Abuse of Garage Permit. Issued to any garage permit owner who uses their permit to allow any other car(s) free exit. Parking privileges may be revoked.
10.8 Group IV University violations. Fee: $75. Vehicle may be towed.
23) Excessive violator. Assessed if vehicle is impounded by wheellock or towed (see section 11.4).
10.9 Group V University violations. Fee: $100. Vehicle may be towed.
24) Gate Tampering. Issued to any person who tampers with any gate equipment. Cost of repair will be added to the fine.
25) Parked in designated fire lane or adjacent to a fire hydrant.
26) Display of forged, altered, lost or stolen parking permit, or fraudulent report of lost or stolen parking permit. Cost of forged, altered or stolen permit will be added to the fine, and parking privileges will be revoked for one year.
27) Use of permit or e-permit for which user is not eligible; or purchase of permit or e-permit by eligible third party for a user who is not themselves eligible for the permit/e-permit.
10.10 Group VI University violation. Fee: $150. Vehicle may be towed.
28) Illegally parked in or blocking an accessible space, accessible aisle, or ADA-compliant ramp designated as accessible.
29) Parking on campus after parking privileges have been revoked.