Parking Changes for 2015-16
These changes will go into effect August 1, 2015.
License Plate Recognition (LPR)
Parking & Transit is beginning the process of transitioning to License Plate Recognition (LPR) for electronic permits/permissions and enforcement. Users will register their license plates to park on campus; in most cases, a physical permit will not be issued. The use of LPR will require that users park in such a way that their license plate is clear and visible to the scanning equipment, and new rules will be added to that effect.
To pass an information booth during the day, users with a Gold or other permit that allows campus access will not need any additional data or physical sticker. Each booth will have a camera installed and the software will inform them of your valid permit.
Lot 3 - Pilot for transition to assigned parking
Lot 3 is a "pilot project" for beginning to transition to assigned parking lots. Reserved spaces were offered based on position or years of service.
There will be reserved spaces for departmental pass usage.
Parking lot zone changes
The following zone changes have been recommended:
- Lots 36 & 39 (Memorial Drive) - change all parking along south edge of the road to gold parking, and all parking along north edge of the road to blue. (Approved change was for a combination of red, blue, and gold parking spaces.)
- Lot 50/52 (JRP & Carruth) - change all parking to red, but have the restrictions end at 4 p.m.
- Lot 34 (Computer Center) - change northernmost section of parking to blue.
- Lot 61/62 (Sunnyside & Illinois) - change all parking to red.
- Lot 54 (Murphy) - change northernmost section of parking to blue, due to closure of lot 33 for construction of EEEC buildings.
- Lot 72 (Burge Union) - change northernmost row to red, due to closure of lot 33.
Limited Access from Sunflower Road
To better control traffic and pedestrian safety on Jayhawk Boulevard, the booth at Sunnyside Ave. and Sunflower Road will be removed and replaced with an automated gate on Sunflower Road just north of Wescoe Hall Drive (between Stauffer-Flint and Watson Library). This gate will only allow buses, approved service vehicles, and emergency vehicles to drive through to Jayhawk Boulevard during the restricted hours (7:45 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday). No personal vehicles will be allowed access during the restricted hours. Access to lots 10, 18, and 126 will not be affected by the gate.
Users with gold and other campus access permits will not be able to drive through the gate onto campus, but WILL be able to exit without a transponder.