Spring Parking Forum
Each year, the Parking Commission hosts two public forums in the fall and spring to hear your feedback about parking on the KU Lawrence campus. This spring, we will host two sessions:
3:30-5 p.m., Wednesday, April 26
12-1:30 p.m., Friday, April 28
English Room, Level 6, Kansas Union
There will be a very short presentation, but this is a "drop in" event, feel free to stop by at your convenience at any time within the times!
If you are unable to attend one of these two sessions, you are also invited to drop in to speak with Parking & Transit staff anytime between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 27.
The Parking Commission is proposing the following changes to parking for the 2017-18 academic year:
- Simplify Yellow Parking Areas - combine Fieldhouse South and Rec Center into a single parking area, and combine both sides of Stadium parking into a single parking area. Permit sales will continue to be limited in these two areas.
- Allow any yellow permit to park in any yellow area until 9 a.m. and all day on Fridays.
- Create New Permit for Staff on West Campus - create a new color designation for west campus yellow zones in lots 200, 202, 204, 219, 220, and 226.
- Change Jayhawker Towers restriction times - change to match other residence hall parking, 7 a.m. Monday through 5 p.m. Friday.
- Increase appeal filing fee to $10 - increased volume of appeals requires a significant investment of staff time for processing.
At their May meeting, the Parking Commission will also consider an additional rules change:
- Change "Restricted Area" tickets to an escalating fine, going up $10 on each instance and becoming automatically towable at $75.
In order to keep up with the cost of maintaining existing and constructing new parking lots, parking permit prices are proposed to increase 5% again this year. The Parking Commission approved these increases reluctantly. However, when the next parking bond is paid off in 2021, we will be able to carefully reevaluate permit prices in relation to the remaining bonds and the cost of deferred maintenance.
|Change to 26-pay
|Gold||$ 517||$ 543||$ 19.88||$ 20.88|
|Blue||$ 385||$ 404||$ 14.81||$ 15.54|
|Red||$ 343||$ 360||$ 13.19||$ 13.85|
|Yellow||$ 274||$ 288||$ 10.54||$ 11.08|
|NEW Staff Permit 1||-||$ 274||-||$ 10.54|
|University Housing||$ 300||$ 315||n/a|
|Carpool||$ 229||$ 240||n/a|
|Park & Ride||$ 200||$ 210||$ 7.69||$ 8.08|
|Garage Gold||$ 601||$ 631||$ 23.12||$ 24.27|
|Garage Blue||$ 469||$ 492||$ 18.04||$ 18.92|
|Garage Red||$ 427||$ 448||$ 16.42||$ 17.23|
|Garage Yellow||$ 317||$ 333||n/a|
|Retiree||$ 100||$ 105||n/a|
|Moped - Staff & Student||$ 79||$ 83||$ 3.04||$ 3.19|
|Motorcycle Red & Blue||$ 79||$ 83||$ 3.04||$ 3.19|
|NEW Motorcycle Garage Permit 2||-||$ 97||-||$ 3.73|
|Departmental Pass||$ 158||$ 166||n/a|
|Reserved Parking - Covered||$ 1,616||$ 1,697||$ 62.15||$ 65.27|
|Reserved Parking - Uncovered||$ 1,292||$ 1,357||$ 49.69||$ 52.19|
|1 See the description under "Permits and Rules" tab.
2 Central District Garage only.
Please take the time to fill out our anonymous parking survey and give feedback. Parking & Transit staff read every comment, and they are shared with all members of the Parking Commission.