Spring Parking Forum
Each year, the Parking Commission hosts two public forums in the fall and spring to hear your feedback about parking on the KU Lawrence campus. This spring, the forum will be:
2-3 p.m., Tuesday, April 24
Forum B, Burge Union
This is a "drop in" event, feel free to stop by at your convenience at any time within the hour!
If you are unable to attend the forum, you are also invited to drop in to speak with Parking & Transit staff anytime between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 26.
The Parking Commission is proposing the following changes to parking for the 2018-19 academic year:
- Eliminate registering cars on multiple accounts - faculty and staff whose dependents are students may request a waiver.
- Change surface lot restrictions for Central District Garage - add new lots in proximity to the garage that open in Summer 2018.
- Create $5 surcharge for DMV record lookups - existing faculty, staff, or students should register their vehicles.
- Create a $25 ticket for DMV record lookup that re-identifies a car from an existing account - to be issued when a car has been removed from an account, and is still owned by the same owner.
- Change Allen Fieldhouse Garage eligibility - remove proximate building requirement.
- Tickets must be paid before an appeal can be submitted, including the filing fee - appeals granted in favor of the appellant will receive a full refund.
- Create/change the following tickets:
- Issue e-citations, not paper tickets, to vehicles in bus zones and other temporary and illegal locations where the vehicle leaves before a paper ticket can be placed on the vehicle.
- Increase booth run ticket to $75.
- Create $100 ticket for deliberately obscured license plates.
- Increase ADA-related tickets to $250.
- Increase ticket for parking while revoked to $250.
- Remove all ticket types related to garage gates (which will be removed Summer 2018).
- Immediately tow all unidentified vehicles with no license plate or other visible identifier.
- Escalate all fines higher than $25 in value.
In order to keep up with the cost of maintaining existing and constructing new parking lots, parking permit prices are proposed to increase 5% again this year. The Parking Commission approved these increases reluctantly. However, when the next parking bond is paid off in 2021, we will be able to carefully reevaluate permit prices in relation to the remaining bonds and the cost of deferred maintenance.
|Change to 26-pay
|Gold||$ 543||$ 570||$ 20.88||$ 21.92|
|Blue||$ 404||$ 424||$ 15.54||$ 16.31|
|Red||$ 360||$ 378||$ 13.85||$ 14.54|
|Yellow||$ 288||$ 302||$ 11.08||$ 11.62|
|University Housing||$ 315||$ 331||n/a|
|Carpool||$ 240||$ 252||n/a|
|Park & Ride||$ 210||$ 221||$ 8.08||$ 8.50|
|Garage Gold||$ 631||$ 663||$ 24.27||$ 25.50|
|Garage Blue||$ 492||$ 517||$ 18.92||$ 19.88|
|Garage Red||$ 448||$ 470||$ 17.23||$ 18.08|
|Garage Yellow||$ 333||$ 350||n/a|
|Retiree||$ 105||$ 110||n/a|
|Moped - Staff & Student||$ 83||$ 87||$ 3.19||$ 3.35|
|Motorcycle Red & Blue||$ 83||$ 87||$ 3.19||$ 3.35|
|NEW Motorcycle Garage Permit 2||$ 97||$ 102||$ 3.73||$ 3.92|
|Departmental Pass||$ 166||$ 174||n/a|
|Reserved Parking - Covered||$ 1,697||$ 1,782||$ 65.27||$ 68.54|
|Reserved Parking - Uncovered||$ 1,357||$ 1,425||$ 52.19||$ 54.81|
|Service||$ 639||$ 671||n/a|
|1 See the description under "Permits and Rules" tab.|
Please take the time to fill out our anonymous parking survey and give feedback. Parking & Transit staff read every comment, and they are shared with all members of the Parking Commission.